photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Indonesia & Puerto Rico Vacation

Jakarta, Medan & Bali - Indonesia

Going back to my country 'Indonesia' to visit my family and son is getting more harder mainly because of the long journey on board the airplane. But I did it.

First stop was Jakarta visiting my parents, brother, sister and my son. It was a wonderful 3 weeks just spending time with family and a view of an old friends.

Then I went to North Sumatra in Medan visiting my grandmother, an aunt that I have not seen  a while. Medan is definitely very unique and special because of it's culinary. And I did indulge some of my childhood delights while there. 

Then my son joined me in Bali 'The Island of God'. This part was the highlight of the trip because it was just the two of us in Bali for 3 nights 4 days. It was definitely a lovely bonding time for  'a mother and a son.'

Although the fact it was raining everyday and plus it was happened to be the biggest Hindu 3 days holiday for Hari Raya Galungan & Kuningan for the Balinese; but for the most part we did what we wanted to do. My son was a little disappointed because one or two of his favorite restaurants were closed. But we managed indulging a Balinese Nasi Campur at Warung Made just before leaving for the airport back to New York and to Jakarta my son went.
Below are the beautiful offerings that the Balinese scattered in front of their home, shops or restaurants. The colorful offerings made of varieties of colorful flowers and were placed inside a coconut leaves. Then an incense were placed on top while they prayed. This ritual takes place every day and you can see it every where on the street, in front of each stores and homes.  Where-ever you go.

I asked my son to stop the rental car as we were driving in Ubud to take pictures of these young men sitting around enjoying their time together during this Hari Raya Galungan. They were wearing white sarong with with white shirt and white cloth on their head. They were smiling and laughing in front of the camera as I took a view shots. What a nice young fellas those Balinese boys are...!!!





I really wanted to take a ride to the country side in hoping to take some pictures of the beautiful landscape of Bali but really we did not have much time plus my son was not so keen on going to the country side. This lovely landscape picture of Bali is the courtesy of Mr. Gusmang Oka Maruya. Thank you Mr. Oka Maruya !!




My son is 26 years old so I truly understand when he took me to this lounge called KuDeTa over looking the ocean. This is the ultra lounge where the young crowd like to hang out.  We wanted to have drinks while watching the sunset, but it did not happen because the weather at the time was a bit of rain and a bit cloudy. But we had a view rounds and took some of these pictures.

A corner at KuDeTa

We really love this restaurant called "Sardine." My son has been there before. I know he wanted me to see the nicest restaurant Bali could offer since when he was in New York we; my husband Steven and I took him to a nice restaurant all the time. So I found this restaurant to be very charming and romantic. The openness of the restaurant is blending with Balinese nature. The dining area is facing a huge Balinese pond with a walk path in the middle that leads to a small 'balai bengong' or 'a place to day dreaming'. I was told during a nice day, they serve dinner over there. But that evening we could not go there because the walk path was wet and muddy since it was raining all day.

Mother and son at Sardine.

This was what in front of us while dining at Sardine.

It was definitely a memorable trip. I can not thank my husband 'Steven' enough who gave me this entire trip and arranged the trip for me. My only hope that one day in the future we could do this same journey together. In the bottom of my heart 'Steven, thank you so much for giving me this journey!"

~~~~~~~~

Puerto Rico

After arriving 4 days in New York, I was leaving for Puerto Rico. This time Steven is coming and we were going to spend some time with his parents.

I always love Puerto Rico. The beaches are so beautiful with the bluest ocean. My favorite place is Gran Melia Golf and Spa Resort. This is the second time we were in Gran Melia Coco Beach Resort. I love the resort because it is a peaceful place with the most beautiful beach and ocean. It has a spacious clean room with a spacious bathroom. It has a gym, a spa, and situated in a secluded area. The beach was quite unusual because just before the white sandy beach there is the wide open green grass field where guests of the hotel would sit around and sun bathing. Then there are row of huge rocks that placed on the edge of the open green grass field. A set of a wooden step placed in the middle where guests could go down just a view steps down to the white sandy beach. So I think it is a beautiful beach setting; green grass, row of big rock bed, white sandy beach, crystal clear water and the bluest ocean as far as eyes could see.



Not only the beautiful beach that I fell in love with but I also love it because the beach has lots of corals and dead shells that I could collect. My husband probably think it is strange that I love shells very much but I think it has something to do with my child hood. Being raised in a remote area of North Sumatra, Indonesia, we, when I was growing up as a little girl did not get to go to an exotic vacation very often. But my parents with his friends used to rent a fishing boat from a small fishing village near our home to go to this remote island of off Malacca Straight called "Pulau Pandan" means "Pandan Island" for a weekend get away. My father and his entourage and helpers would build a huge tent for us to sleep and cooked for about 3 families. On this island I found so many beautiful different kind of  shells with  shapes and colors. It was the most beautiful memories of my childhood. So since nowadays not many beaches has dead shells; I found Coco beach at Gran Melia Resort Puerto Rico brings back my happy child hood memories a live. I felt like being in Pulau Pandan once more time. Those shells are now in a beautiful glass jar in our home in Delray, Florida.


Once again "Thank you Steven for taking me to the most beautiful spot in the world!"

Thank you for reading !!
XOXO,
Ellya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!