photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Macaron A to Z {Part 3}

'Storing' and learning the 'interior' of a macaron.

Macaron can be stored in a freezer for about a month. I had my macaron in the freezer for 2 months  and they were still delicious. But I won't go for more than that ! I still can't decide if I should put the filling and store them in the freezer or I just leave the shells in the freezer and put in the filling when ready to eat. I can't decide yet ! It seems and from reading a professional macaron bloggers; they put the filling right away and store them in the freezer. I guess it all depends on 'when you are going to eat the macarons.'

Now about the interior. If you are an ambitious macaron baker like myself, the interior is as important as the exterior; a part from the delicious taste.  So I decided to take a bite of 3 macarons that has been stored in freezer at a different time. Oh, before I forget; each time you take them out from the freezer let them rest in a room temperature for about 40 minutes to an hour. You do not want to chew on a cold hard macaron right from the freezer.

The Lemon Macaron on the left has been in the freezer for about 1-1/2 month. The one in the middle the Coffee Macaron has been in the freezer for about 1 month and the one on the right the Blueberry Macaron has been in the freezer for about 1 week.  I took the macarons out of the freezer put the filling {I have only blueberry cream cheese filling} and put them back in the freezer. After an hour I took them out and took a bite on each of these cookies to see what the interior looks like.

To my surprise the Lemon one is still delicious and has the nicest interior. The Coffee one is also delicious but the interior has a slight hollow shell while the Blueberry  has an apparent gap between the interior and the crispy shell {on the very right side of the bluebery macaron} You can see there is much of a gap in between.

You can learn the trouble shooting making the macaron here.




I also learn that macaron is best when eat after 24 to 48 hours. This is called 'maturity'  
Hermé points out an interesting aspect of his macaroons that seems to challenge the basics of most pastry teaching - freshness. "As soon as they're made they're not ready to eat, but they're really at their best after 24 or even 48 hours," he says. "An osmosis takes place between the garnish and the biscuit. When freshly baked this is hard and crisp, but it absorbs some humidity from the filling and its inside becomes more tender while the crust on the surface stays intact." {link}


*******

Thank you ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!