photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Tale of Two Chairs

The very first time I read Chloe's email from One Kings Lane (here), I was unsure what she wanted me to do. After she clarified the task, I decided to participate in the challenge.  I thought it should not be more difficult than any other home decor project that I had done before.

I have two antique chairs in my garage that needed a major renovation.  I started the project but never got around to finishing it. I thought they would be perfect signature chairs for this challenge.  Then winter came along and I came down with a bad cold. So I decided not to feature the chairs in my garage. Instead, I decided to feature two chairs that already graced our home.

I bought these two chairs at a flea market in Manhattan years ago when I was single, to decorate my apartment. I am not sure if they are an antique chairs but they look very old. What I love about them is that they are small chairs that are perfect accents to decorate any room. And the simple design reminded me of the Louis XVI chair that I love very much. The gold accent exude elegance to them. Since they are a pair, they would be nice to decorate an entry way or a small empty wall in a small room; so that is how I used the chairs to decorate our living room wall.

I probably would do a re-upholstery on these chairs in the future. And I probably would give a nice new color on the chair. I have not decided yet.

The chairs are stamped and marked "Viennesse Collection Henree..." and I cannot make out the rest! So I searched on Google for "Viennesse antique chairs." I learned that these are typical 19th century Viennesse side chairs with characteristics of splayed legs, circular seats, minimalist design and delicate shape. The characteristics of simple lines and design suggests that it was adopted from the Empire style in France. One can see that these chairs are similar to Louis XVI chairs but without the arm rests. It is said that this style of Viennese chairs provided inspiration to the craftsmen of Biedermeyer in the U.S.  I suspect that these chairs could, perhaps, be made by a Biedermeyer craftsman in the U.S., but I am not sure since the chairs are stamped "Viennesse Collection Henree...."

 I gathered some of the characteristics of these chairs at the One Kings Lane Home Decor Resource Guide (here).  

The simplistic design is similar to the English Neo-Classical Design (here)

The leg is similar to a Sheraton style cane-backed arm chair (here)

The simplistic design is similar to the Louis XVI style (here)

The cane-backed and splayed legs are similar to the Viena Secession and Josef Hoffman styles (here)






I would like to talk about some of the items that I created (DIY,) displayed in the pictures above.  I designed a repeat of a silk screen pillow cover on the right chair at fatto a mano studio (here) several years ago. It was a painstaking process to do just a 1/2 yard design. I was glad to do it once, but I will never do it again!  The two collages that flank the mirror were also made by me. It is an intaglio--a medallion plaster that I bought from Ebay (here) and (here,) glued on a corrugated aqua paper. I then matted and framed them. The mirror belonged to my mother-in-law.



I was extra careful when choosing the other elements on this display with the two chairs. I love the mix of the  modern, tribal and Morocco geometric shape of the rug and  the tall vase. I tied them together with a modern drum-shaped black iron table in the middle. The gold on the top part of the lower vase picks up the gold accents of the chairs. The small bright orange vase gives the whole look a pop of color.






"Thank you Chloe from One King's Lane! I truly enjoyed the task of featuring these Viennese chairs."

And thank you so much for stopping by!



 photo Linkedto_zps7da192d4.jpg

 MONDAY

Pursuit of Functional Home by Judy
Twelve O Eight {Inspiration Monday} by Tanya
Lines Across {Monday Funday} by Rachel
Sumo's Sweet Stuff by Sumo
It's So Very Cheri {It's Party Time}
Creative Mondays by Claire
The Dedicated House {Make It Pretty Monday} by Kathryn
Home Coming {The DIY'ers}

TUESDAY
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia by Kristin
The Blackberry Vine {Tuesday To Do Party)
Lady Bug Blessings {Handmade Tuesday} by Kristen
Not Just A Housewife {Show Me What Ya Got} by Stacy
Cup Cakes And Crinoline {Project Inspired} by Mary Beth 
A stroll Thru Life {Inspire Me Tuesday} by Marty

WEDNESDAY
The Blissful Bee {Work It Wednesday} by Amy
Savvy Southern Style {Wow Us Wednesday} by Kim


The Trendy Tree House {Create and Share} by Tara
Clean And Scentsible {Inspiration Exchange} by Jenn
Green Willow Pond {What We Accomplished Wednesday} by Deborah

The 36th Avenue {The 36th Party} by Desiree
The Diary of a Real Housewife {The Blogger's Diagest} by Jennie

The Pleated Poppy {What I Wore Wednesday} by Lindsey 

THURSDAY
52 Mantels {Thursday Are Your Days} by Emily
The Charm of Home {Home Sweet Home} by Shery
The Grant Life {The Life of the Party} by Kelley
Saving 4 Six (Welcome To Think Tank Thursday) by Carrie Made to be a Momma {Homemade by You} by Katie 
The Shabby Creek Cottage {Transformation Thursday} by Gina
A Glimpse Inside by Allison

Perfectly Coutured {Three-fer Thursday} by Bethany

FRIDAY 

 Dear Creatives {Inspiration Spotlight} by Theresa
Chic on a Shoe String Decorating {Flaunt it Friday} by Kate
My romantic Home {Show and Tell Friday} by Cindy  
The Dedicated House {Anything Blue Friday} by Kathryn 
A night Owl {Create and Inspire} by Kimberly
Craftberry Bush  {The Inspiration Gallery} by Lucy
Happy Hour Project {Happy Hour Friday} by Adrienne
Diana Rambles {Pin Me Linky Party} by Diana
Truly Lovely {Fancy This Friday} by Kassy and Kayli
504 Main {Tickled Pink} by Holly 
A Stylish Interior (Stylish Friday Finds} by Karen 
Little Inspiration {Create & Inspire} by Kimberly and Angie

The Mrs and The Momma {The Best of Friday} by Kristen

SATURDAY

Suburbs Mama {Suburbs Mama Sunday} by Rita
Nifty Thrifty Things {Nifty Thrifty Sunday} by Vanessa
Flamingo Toes {Think Pink Sunday} by Bev
Pink When {DIY Sunday Showcase} by Jennifer
Twigg Studios  {Sunday Show Off} by Aimee
Crafts A la Mode 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful chairs and pillows - love the fabric. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!