photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Why & What "photography" is to me.




I am writing about this based on my experiences. From the beginning until now. I feel it is always an interesting topic on how some one who never went to photography school has becoming a photographer who get paid by taking picture of people.  It takes a great dedication to get where I am now. My goal is only to share my experiences and my dream in the future as a photographer.

But,
before I answer the question, let me clear a few things first.


Taking pictures professionally and as a hobby are two different things.

When you are taking picture as a hobby, you are pleasing yourself. But when you are taking picture of a client and as a business; you are pleasing others. That's the different. I had been taking pictures for a hobby for almost 2 years using DSLR camera before I jumped into a business. And taking picture of people as a business is not as easy as most people think. You know why? I will tell you why. After being in this business for little over a year and have taken pictures of all kind of people and ages; newborn, senior, maternity, couple,etc, I can officially claimed that this business is not and easy business.

I will break down this subject in two categories.

1. Photography as a business.

A. MARKETING
(I will talk about this on a different post)

B. GET BOOKED AND ON LOCATION
a. After both parties agreed about date and price, you have to scour a location. This means you have to find a location that suitable for your type of photography ( I am an outdoor natural light photographer so a park with a lot of tree lines is very important). It is better to do it on a different day than during the actual photo session day. The reason is you do not want to be exhausted during the shooting if you do it the same day. I like to do a shoot in a park and in a garden. Flowers and textured are pretty as back ground it gives color and depth to your images. You can look for a textured on a building wall. 

b. During the session day, you have to drive to the location. In New York, it is not easy. You have to arrive 1-1/2 to -2 hours prior; since to find the right parking spot is not easy. If you are not extra careful you will get a ticket! It will cost you USD 30-60 depend on the location. There is a chance that you probably do not park near the location; so with your photography gears you have to walk to get to the location. 
c. On the location, you have to discuss the poses with your client. And strategically what you are going to do for example; shoot the wife first standing up with this position and that position, then with the husband both standing up. Both sitting on the bench, etc. You can not depend on themselves as far as poses, etc., if you want their pictures to look decent and pretty. Searching through google about poses before the shooting is always a help.
d. During the shoot; you constantly moving around trying to get the right angle. Sometimes you need to bring a step as you want to shoot from above like I do. And sometimes you need to sit on the ground. And you need to come up to the client to direct where their body suppose to face, or little detail like dresses, hands. hair, etc. So you move a lot. And under the hot sun. Some client are easy; you do not need to direct them. But most clients need some direction.
e. When this is done, you have to pack up your gear and carry them back to your car. 
f. In New York there will be chance that you will hit a traffic on the way home. In a normal distance between my home and to location it will almost take 1-1/2 hours to get home. And after constantly moving physically, the last thing you want to be is in a traffic for hours. It will adds up the tiredness. By the time you arrived home you will ended up with all total spending hours of 2 hours (driving to get to location I do not like to be late) + 1-1/2 hours (shooting on location) + 1/2 hours (explaining when the cd is ready plus payment) + 2 hours (walking to the car and driving home) = 5 hours all together from leaving your home and until you arrived home. Sometimes I am wondering if all of these hard works are worth the money. BUT, this is my passion. Passion can not be bought by money. Passion is happiness, and happiness is what I always looking for.
Of course every person is different. One is stronger than the other. For me, I am a little on the weak side. One activity in a day is more than enough for me. Later I need a good rest; good sleep and chill at home. It will take me one day to recover until I am on the right track again.

C. EDITING
Then comes the editing. I am using Photoshop  Light room. I usually take 500 to 700 pictures. Usually about 100 or more of these pictures are the best ones. Each of those 100 images need to be edited, paint them with brush that has different functions. The editing process will take about 1- 2 hours, depends on the number of pictures. There are none of my pictures that you see; in blog, Facebook, other social media has not gone through Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop Element. All of them has gone through these two photo editing programs. Using these two programs is a constant learning. I am still learning. Still finding that one perfect editing suit to my signature style. Soon, I need to buy Photoshop CS, but this photo editing program  is very expensive, really, like USD 650.00 for new. So I must save some fund to buy this program.

D. PACKAGING
When all the photos has been edited through these Photoshop programs and they are all look gorgeous, they are ready to be sent to a client. The next step you need to package them beautifully. You can not just put the CD in an envelope and send them away. No, you can't do that. It has to be interesting and beautiful,  everything right down to the very last thing; sending the image to your client. They have to know that you love the job they gave you. They have to know that you love your job more than anything. And, you have to make  them feel that  whole process of taking picture with you  is 'a great experience' for them.  From the very first time contacting you to the last like presenting the images to them. You have to make them feel  happy and satisfied that they will refer you to their friends or  they will contact you again for another gig. And that is what I am going for. I suggest your packaging has to be in theme with your branding. The color has to be the same as well.
(I will talk about this more in another post and in the future)

For the above reason that's why some professional photographer charge much more than the other. Or in general they are expensive. Now you know why.  It is a lot of work, continuous learning and not to mention the expensive equipment you have bought or equipment you need to add or buy. 
To some people, they are truly realize that capture in the moment that  can not be repeated ever again is very important to them. Like maternity. Wouldn't you like to be photographed while you are 8 months pregnant? Oh, I would. Or, wouldn't you want your 7 days old new born baby to be photographed? Your 7 days old baby only be 7 days old  in one day a life time. As they grow older every day, right?
Yes and it's true that you can take picture out of your pocket camera. But let me tell you it is not the same. Once the damaged has been done, it will be impossible to re-create that moment and how sorry you will be later on. You need someone who is professional about this. Using the DSLR; knowing what mode to use under what light condition, photo editing, composition, styling seeing the light and lighting. It is an art. Not many people know these things. I went to school for Fine Art and later Styling. Photography is a hobby turned business and passion of mine, what I learned from 4 years bachelor's program in school I incorporated to what I have learned each time I took picture of anything. In fact, I incorporate through the whole process of photography. From the beginning all the way to the end. The process is one big art on a canvas. To me it's the prettiest thing, mentally and physically. So it is entirely up to you how you want to paint your canvas. It is entirely up to you how you want to be as A PHOTOGRAPHER. The ball is on your court.
You can have the best DSLR camera, but without photo editing program like Photoshop, your pictures won't compete with the rest of us, photographers in the world. Let it be an amateur or professional. Ask any professional photographer if their images straight from the camera. I bet you their answer is NO!

2. Photography as a hobby.
It is always a good thing to learn to take beautiful pictures by taking picture as a hobby. For example you can take picture of things around your home like flower in a vase, your pet, your cooking, your kids or family, etc to start with. This is how I start my business and as you can see on my blog in the early days. Once you are comfortable with your camera then you can learn about Photoshop, and so on.
Taking picture as a hobby is always a rewarding. For me, it makes me happy. It motivates me to be creative. It challenge me to do different thing each time. So my day is always full of adventure and excitement. I love document what I love around me through photography. That's why I am blogging in the first place. Then many doors will start to open up. 
I became a photographer just by accident; while taking pictures of my friend's little girl in Central Park New York. Since then, I have been learning as much as I could and whenever I have the time to better myself to create beautiful images through my camera. I figured if I do not get booked or do not generate a decent income; it still makes me happy. And that is what most important for me. 

~~~o0o~~~

So, 
to  answer the above question; to me, 'photography' is an ART. It is a platform where I can express myself in a day to day life. In photography I can incorporate all aspects about art; composition, color, lighting, subject matter, texture, etc. It gives me so much joy and happiness to go through the process of taking picture from the beginning to the end. Especially seeing the smile on my client's face. Seeing myself smiling looking at the picture of flower I took and stylized.
If you are thinking about learning photography, these are pretty much what you need to learn. Take your time to learn each area about photography. Dedicate yourself to it and keep on practice. Once you get to the breaking point of being booked; than you know that your photography is worth the dollar. Then you can develop from there; buying new lenses, lighting equipment, etc.

 I learn as I go. But those elements I was talking about are crucial in photography. I am not saying I am the expert in photography. But I have seen most of my client's happy face when I presented their images. And it is rewarding. It's more than the amount of dollar you have received; it is a happy feeling beyond words.
I hope, there is something you can learn here. I am open to all comments and input about this topic. Please give comments as I love critics and comments. Thank you All so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!