photo website_zpsf15f51e8.png

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Ontbijtkoek [Spice Breakfast Cake]





Ontbijtkoek means 'Spice Breakfast Cake'. Yes  this cake is typically eaten as breakfast in The Netherlands.

One day my heart went to my mother's cook when I was growing up as a young girl. I remember when my mother cooked this cake and we loved it very much. Back then my father was working for the US rubber plantation called Uniroyal and I remember our neighbors was the American and the Dutch families. When my parents became friends with the Dutch family, she gave my mother the recipe a long with the spices. But when they moved back to their country as their post was ended, my mother could not find the spices and she stopped making it completely.

Thanks to the internet now I can relive my fondest child hood memory; my mother's cooking 'The Ontbijtkoek Cake'.

I have not told my mother that I successfully made this cake and I knew she would be thrilled that I can make the cake that I know she would love to make again.  I will call her soon as she lives in Jakarta, Indonesia and will tell her the story.

Meantime, this cake is burst with spices. You can strongly taste it in your mouth and it is good to have it with hot tea or coffee especially when the weather is cold outside. But I will not have this for breakfast though! It tastes even better when smeared with butter.

If you love the taste of spices, this cake is for you.

Here is the recipe.

Ontbijtkoek 

~ 2 cup all-purpose flour
~ 1/2 cup brown sugar
~ 1 tsp baking powder
~ 1 tsp baking soda
~ 2 tsp cinnamon
~ 1/3 tsp cloves, optional
~ 1/3 tsp nutmeg
~ 1/3 tsp ginger
~ 1/3 tsp salt
~ 1 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
~ 1 egg beaten
~ 1/3 cup honey
~ 1/4 cup dark molasses, optional

Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a medium sized bowl, combine all the liquid ingredients together until well blended. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until moistened. Pour batter into an oiled 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and baked for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and remove from pan.
Set on a rack to cool. Serve with margarine spread and strong coffee or tea.

Note; For a more moist loaf, reduce flour by 1/4 cup and add a little more honey or buttermilk. It is normal if the cake is dry, however it will taste wonderful when toasted.

~~~oo00oo~~~

Happy baking Everyone!
Thank you for stopping by! 



 photo Linkedto_zps7da192d4.jpg


Monday






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!